Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chemistry and Physics Building / Earth Sciences Building / Fitzgerald Building (55 Chancellors Circle, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick and stone building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by local architect Victor Horwood and built in 1913. The building was designed to be completely fireproof and was furnished with the most modern apparatus of the era for teaching agricultural chemistry, soils, drainage, mathematics, and general physics, including electricity and magnetism.

The building was later used by the Department of Earth Sciences (Geology). The building was subsequently occupied by the Faculty of Fine Arts during which time it was renamed the Fitzgerald Building in commemoration of artist Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald. When the Faculty moved out in 2019, the name was removed and, as of 2021, the building is known by its street address, 55 Chancellors Circle, and used partly as a COVID-19 testing facility.

Chemistry and Physics Building

Chemistry and Physics Building (c1914)
Source: Winnipeg Tribune, 20 June 1914, page 29.

Chemistry and Physics Building

Chemistry and Physics Building (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7447, Album 2, Page 31.

Earth Sciences Building

Earth Sciences Building (no date)
Source: Winnipeg Buildings Index

The former FitzGerald Building

The former FitzGerald Building (January 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina

The former FitzGerald Building

The former FitzGerald Building (April 2021)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.81004, W97.13438
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)

Memorable Manitobans: Victor William Horwood (1878-1939)

Memorable Manitobans: Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald (1890-1956)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Manitoba Agricultural College compares with best colleges of kind,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 June 1914, page 29.

We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.