This one-storey wood frame and stucco building on Waddell Avenue East in Dominion City, in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, was designed by Winnipeg architect John Hamilton Gordon Russell and built in 1922 to house local circuitry for the Manitoba Government Telephones (later Manitoba Telephone System). At the time of a 2023 site visit, the building was being used as a private residence.
Manitoba Telephone Exchange Building at Dominion City (no date)
Source: The Telephone Echo, Volume 3, Number 1, page 23, May 1923.
The former Telephone Exchange Building at Dominion City (February 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.14197, W97.15309
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Hamilton Gordon Russell (1863-1946)
MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 July 1922, page 14.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 July 1922, page 12.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 July 1922, page 18.
Dominion City: Facts, Fiction and Hyperbole by James McKercher Waddell, 1970, page 112.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 23 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!