Historic Sites of Manitoba: Deloraine Presbyterian Church (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
Built between 1896 and 1897 by the local Presbyterian congregation, the building in Deloraine was used until 1917 when the congregation joined with Methodists and services were transferred to another church building nearby. The old church was used as the church hall. In the 1930s the building was acquired by the Town of Deloraine and became the community hall, providing space for concerts, plays, debates, and conferences. From 1935 until the mid-1950s it was refurbished to serve as Falconer Collegiate. From 1959 it was council chambers and offices for the Town of Deloraine and the Rural Municipality of Winchester.
Designated a municipal historic site in October 1992, the building underwent renovations during the early 2000s as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project. As of 2007, its basement has been used as a community resource centre and the main floor was awaiting renovation as a community cultural space.
The clerics of Deloraine Presbyterian Church between 1883 and 1915 were R. Brown, Donald Munro, P. Fisher, J. Pryde, Thomas Beveridge, and W. Stanley Owen.
Deloraine Scans a Century: A History of Deloraine and District: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, page 51.
Presbyterian Church, Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 85, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 March 2019
Back to top of page