A fieldstone monument on Centrale Avenue in Ste. Anne, adjacent to the former municipal office, was unveiled in 1933 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, in commemoration of the Dawson Road. Surveyed in 1858, begun in 1868 by Simon James Dawson for whom it was named, and completed in 1871, this 530-mile land and water route from Fort William to Red River was Canada’s first attempt to provide an all-Canadian highway linking the east with the prairies.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ste. Anne Courthouse and Municipal Office (Centrale Avenue, Ste. Anne)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Trailhead (Southeastern Manitoba)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Signs (Lagimodiere Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Plaque (Whiteshell Provincial Park)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Memorable Manitobans: Simon James Dawson (1820-1902)
We thank Margaret Carter and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 August 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.