This site in southeastern Manitoba, near the Northwest Angle of the United States, marks the beginning of the Dawson Road, the first all-Canadian overland route to western Canada. Travellers from eastern Canada, including members of the 1870 Wolseley Expedition, disembarked from their watercraft here and transferred to horse-drawn wagons. In the 1970s, there was a clearing here, and a log building held together by wooden pegs, with a trail leading to the west.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Monument (Centrale Avenue, Ste. Anne)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Signs (Lagimodiere Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Road Plaque (Whiteshell Provincial Park)
Memorable Manitobans: Simon James Dawson (1820-1902)
The 1870 Wolseley Expedition Route by Larry Laliberte
Manitoba History, Number 52, June 2006
This page was prepared by Ross Madder and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.