Dalnavert Museum in Winnipeg was once the 1895 home of Hugh John Macdonald. Designed by local architect Charles H. Wheeler and later converted into residential apartments, it was restored in the early 1970s by members of the Manitoba Historical Society to the way it looked when first constructed. In 2006, a Visitors’ Centre designed by local architect Wins Bridgman was added to it. Plaques near the entrance were provided by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada and the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba. Restoration of the municipally-designated historic building has been recognized by Conservation Awards from Heritage Winnipeg.
Memorable Manitobans: Hugh John Macdonald (1850-1929)
Macdonald House - Exercise in Restoration by Eileen Pruden
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 18, Number 1, Autumn 1972
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 17 May 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.