This two-storey brick and stone building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by local architects Samuel Hooper and Victor Horwood, and built between 1912 and 1913 as part of the Manitoba Agricultural College. Initially, it was the residence for the Principal of the College and later the President of the University of Manitoba. Later occupants included the Natural Resources Institute. Renamed Chancellor’s Hall in 2006, it presently houses the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)
Memorable Manitobans: Victor William Horwood (1878-1939)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.