Historic Sites of Manitoba: Balfouria Apartments A / Cathedral Court A (191 Cathedral Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick apartment block on Cathedral Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 66 feet by 130 feet, was designed by architect Edgar Prain and built in 1927 at a cost of about $80,000 for the Sheps Agencies Limited. It contained 30 apartments in three- and four-room configurations. Known originally as Balfouria Apartments, the building was later renamed Cathedral Court.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 639/1927, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“North Winnipeg apartments,” Manitoba Free Press, 23 April 1927, page 22.
“Balfouria Apartments St. John's magnificent new structure,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 October 1927, page 9.
Find a Postal Code, CanadaPost.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 4 February 2023