Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 90
Manitoba
History

No. 90

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cartwright United Church (Curwen Street, Cartwright, Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

This United Church building, in Cartwright in the Municipality of Cartwright-Roblin, was constructed in 1899 for use by a Methodist congregation. It became a United Church in 1920 - prior to the formal unification of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist faiths in Canada - when the Methodist and Presbyterian churches merged. The former Presbyterian church was used for Sunday School classes, small gatherings, socials, and Christmas concerts then for other purposes until it was demolished in 1956. An annex and basement were added to the former Methodist building in 1928.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1920

Rev. Joseph Savage

1921-1927

Rev. A. J. Radley

1928

Rev. T. D. Barnet

1929

Rev. Andrew Moffat

1930-1934

Rev. J. C. Parker

1934-1939

Rev. W. A. McKim Young

1939-1942

Rev. G. W. Hinds

1942-1948

Rev. A. Grant Smith

1948-1953

Rev. G. W. Boyce

1953-1956

Rev. J. W. Bray

1956-1959

Rev. Fraser Muldrew

1959-1961

Rev. A. Hauser

1962-1966

Rev. H. E. Bradley

1966-1968

S. N. Stutely

1968-1971

Dr. Allen Churchill

1971-1973

Rev. Ian Macdonald

1973-1976

Rev. Ken Gallinger
Rev. Peter Buhler

1976-1981

Rev. John Lea

1981-1984

Rev. Greg Grace

1984-?

Rev. Dorcas Larson

Photos & Maps

Cartwright United Church

Cartwright United Church (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of Cartwright United Church

Interior of Cartwright United Church (August 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.09561, W99.33996
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Memories Along the Badger Revisited: Cartwright and District, 1885-1985 by Cartwright & District History Committee, 1985, pages 47-48.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 15 January 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.