Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cambridge School (Cambridge Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

To meet the educational needs of this area of Winnipeg, for which no school was nearby, a building was leased to the Winnipeg School Division by local dairyman Robert Jefferson. The building was situated on the east side of Cambridge Street, south of Arnold Avenue (now Ebby Avenue), and north of Morley Avenue (since removed) at the intersection with Vincent Avenue (since removed), and north of the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks running parallel to present-day Taylor Avenue. Opened as a school for grades 1 to 6 by December 1906, under a single teacher, the building also hosted a Sunday School starting in December 1908. The school closed in the summer of 1918 and the building was later demolished. The site is presently occupied by an apartment block.





Miss H. Mitchell


Miss K. Gowanlock


Miss J. Bliss


Lydia Volio Steer (1867-1959)


Grace Emma James Palmer (1874-1939)




Florence M. Galley


Mary French (1876-1971)


No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Cambridge School

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.85172, W97.17570
denoted by symbol on the map above


“Aberdeen School enlarged,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, page 45.

“The public schools of Winnipeg,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 December 1906, page 22.

“Children must attend school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 January 1907, page 7.

“Systematic fire drill,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 March 1907, page 9.

“Cambridge School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 June 1907, page 3.

“Changes in city schools,” Manitoba Free Press, 31 August 1907.

“R. H. Smith is Secretary,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 October 1907, page 8.

“Attendance about 10,000,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 December 1907, page 2.

“Re-opening of schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1908, page 1.

“Coming events,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 December 1908, page 10.

“Two nurses for schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 October 1909, page 3.

“Dairymen meet officials,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 February 1910, page 9.

“Teachers named for all schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 September 1910, page 3.

“Assignment of teachers for Winnipeg Schools which open on Sept. 15,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 September 1911, page 9.

“City schools staff assembling in Sept.,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 August 1912, page 8.

“To buy sites for school purposes,” Manitoba Free Press, 15 January 1913, page 28.

“Opening of the Winnipeg public schools has been set for Monday next,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 August 1913, pages 1 and 2.

“Here’s your teacher!” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 August 1914, page 6.

“School Board assigns teachers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1915, page 9.

“Reduce staff of teachers at high schools on Monday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 August 1916, page 1.

“Boundaries of schools are named,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 August 1917, page 9.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 27 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!