Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bunclody Commemorative Monuments (Bunclody, Municipality of Souris-Glenwood)
This site along the Souris River, in the Municipality of Souris-Glenwood, marks the former community of Bunclody, established around 1879. Named in 1884 by local settler George McGill after his native home near Bunclody Bridge in Ireland, he also named the Bunclody School District established the next year, for which he served as Secretary-Treasurer. The school building was situated at a site one mile south and one mile west of here, along with Bunclody Union (United) Church from 1908 to 1956.
A spur of the Great Northern Railway operated between Devil’s Lake, North Dakota and Brandon from 1906 to 1936. A general store and post office established in 1908 closed in 1956; a grain elevator operated between 1908 and 1937. The earthen abutments for a massive wooden railway bridge over the Souris River are still visible, as are the footings for a grain elevator that once operated here.
First World War Casualties
Second World War Casualties
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (email@example.com).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
We thank Darryl Toews for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 November 2021