Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brock School No. 809 (Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
The Brock School District was formally established in April 1894, with students coming from a part of the catchment area for Grove School. Classes were initially held in the home of Mr. Kavanagh, with Miss Kavanagh as teacher, until a school building was erected at a cost of $465, on the southwest corner of 19-2-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester. It opened in June 1895 and served the community until 1957 when it was replaced with a new, fully modern structure. The school closed in June 1966 and students were bused to Deloraine School. The next year, the building was moved to Deloraine then, in 1968, to Melita for use as temporary classroom space. All that remains at its former site is the enamel sign that was once mounted on the school and a rock cairn commemorating it.
Among the teachers of Brock School were Alice Kavanagh, Mary Lynn, Alf Hardy, Katie McKay, Annie Munroe, Kenneth Branscomb, Stella Snelgrove, Velma Potter, Beatrice Morton, Edgar Thomas, Kate McNaughton, Allie Wilson, Emma Fizell, Mr. Rice, Hazel Thomas, Alma McDougall, Ida Lalere, Vesa Chambers, Bruce Urie, Elizabeth Evans, Nona Bissett, Margaret Potter, Gertrude Fisher, Pearl Finlay, Jean Livingstone, Katie Gilander, Rae Neuman, Margaret Johnston, Bessie Poole, Evelyn Webb, Margaret McGee, Edythe Brown, Bernice McDermott Margaret Innes, Winnifred Finlay, Dorothy Innes, Beryle Innes, Mrs. Frame, Irene Rhodes, Kathaleen Henderson, Ruth Meldrum, Agnes Trinholm, Norma Moore, Adam Johnston, George Pollen, Dorothy Trefry, Evelyn Arnold, Mary Sople, Mrs. Roby, Dannie Warnez, Mrs. Len Cannons, William Betz, Phyllis Solminsky, Norman Brown, Mary Forester, Gail Krauchi, Ada Josephson, Marie Young, and Marjorie Mowatt.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Deloraine Scans a Century by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 125-126.
Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, pages 100-101.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 April 2020
Back to top of page