Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boyne School No. 21 (RM of Dufferin)
Established in December 1872, the Boyne School District occupied a log building in the northwest quarter of 22-6-4 west of the Principal Meridian, known locally as the Salterville Schoolhouse. In 1893, a much larger wood frame structure was erected beside it, with separate entrances for boys and girls. It was used until 1930 when a replacement was built and the earlier school was sold to a local farmer for use as a residence at SE2-7-4W. It was standing as of the early 1990s.
The present one-classroom building, erected in 1930 with a full concrete basement and coal furnace, had electricity installed in 1946. It closed in June 1966 and the remaining students were bussed to Carman. The building was used as a community centre. In 1988, it was designated as a Municipal Heritage Site by the Rural Municipality of Dufferin. On 7 March 2013, the building was moved into Carman to the site of the Dufferin Historical Society Museum where it was put onto a new concrete foundation and is being restored. Exterior renovations were completed in 2015.
Among the teachers at Boyne School were Herbert Inman (1878), Theophilus Finn (1883-1892), D. Honeywell (1885-1887), Johnston A. Watson (1888, 1890), Ernest J. Motley (1889), J. B. Hugg (1891, 1893), A. J. Cameron (1892), Joseph Paxton (1893-1897), Albert Malcolmson (1897-1899), E. M. Hinch (1900), E. S. Smith (1900-1902), Roland H. B. North (1905-1906), Elmina S. Jickling (1907), J. E. Struthers (1908-1909), Agnes A. Brigham (1909), Allena M. McGillvray (1909), Ida L. M. Wyness (1910-1911), Jessie Immes (1912), Elizabeth Power (1913-1915), Eva J. M. Reid (1915), Enid Crothers (1916), H. Cecilia Rowan (1917), Evelyn Churchill (1917-1918), Dorothy Green (1919), Gladys Stewart (1920), and Dorothy Ethelwyn Frost (1943-1945). Others for whom the period of employment is unknown include Mildred Pritchard, Evelyn Pritchard, Alice York, Lydia Mallory, and Anthony Hogg.
“Cox – Frost,” Brandon Sun, 17 July 1948, page 6.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Rural Municipality of Dufferin, 1880-1980 compiled and edited by June M. Watson with the assistance of the History Book Committee, RM of Dufferin, 1982.
“Celebrating the contributions of rural permit teachers,” The Valley Leader, 3 June 2009.
We thank Trish Aubin for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 September 2020