Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jon Bjarnason Academy (652 Home Street, Winnipeg)
In 1913, a private Icelandic school was established by cleric Jon Bjarnason and located in a rented building at 720 Beverley Street. On his death the following year, it was renamed in his honour. The school moved to a new location at 652 Home Street. It operated there until the end of the 1939-1940 school year when it closed permanently. The building was later used as a communal residence. Details about school operations are contained in a thesis written by former teacher Roy H. Ruth.
The other teachers at the Jon Bjarnason Academy were Baldur Jonsson (1913-1914), Jonas Jonasson (1913-1914), Rev. Hjortur Leo (1914-1915, 1917-1919, 1922-1926), J. G. Johannson (1914-1916), Miss S. E. Johannesson (1915-1916), Miss Margaret Paulson (1916-1917), Olafur T. Anderson (1916-1917), Miss Thorstina Jackson (1917-1919), E. S. Halldorson (1919-1936), Miss Asta Austmann (1919-1920), Miss May Anderson (1920-1922), E. Thorlakson (1922-1923), Rev. R. O. Sigmond (1924-1925), H. W. M. Eastvold (1925-1926), Miss Gudlaug Geir (1925-1926), Miss V. Bleakley (1926-1929), J. O. Bildfell (1926-1928), V. G. Clark (1927), Theodore Sigurdson (1928-1930), A. R. Magnusson (1929-1940), Miss Beatrice Gislason (1932-1935), Roy H. Ruth (1934-1936), T. J. Oleson (1936-1938), Miss Elva Eyford (1936-1939), Mrs. Matthildur Frederickson (1938-1940), Miss J. Belton (1939-1940).
Photos & Maps
A History of Education of the Icelanders in Manitoba by Roy Herbert Ruth, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, 1960.
We thank Janis Magnusson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 February 2016
Back to top of page