Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bank of British North America Building / Olympia Café Building (1000 Rosser Avenue, Brandon)
Formerly located at the southwest corner of Tenth Street and Rosser Avenue in Brandon, this three-storey brick building was designed by local architect William Richard Marshall and built in 1890 by contactor William Bell as a branch of the Bank of British North America. In 1918, the bank was absorbed by the Bank of Montreal, and later became occupied by the Olympia Cafe.
The building was destroyed by fire in 1953. Three years later, another branch of the Bank of Montreal was constructed on this site.
Memorable Manitobans: William Richard Marshall (1854-1909)
Memorable Manitobans: William Bell (1863-1936)
Manitoba Business: Bank of British North America
Manitoba Business: Bank of Montreal
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 May 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.