Manitoba Organization: Winnipeg Stock Exchange
The Winnipeg Stock Exchange traces its origins to the early 1880s. Meetings were held by member companies and, on 1 March 1883, membership was capped at 40. Activity levels of the unincorporated group varied and diminished over the years. The present incarnation dates to 1903 when it was incorporated by an Act of the Manitoba Legislative on 18 March. Founding members were contractor H. M. Sutherland, broker Augustus Meredith Nanton, grain merchant G. R. Crowe, MLA J. T. Gordon, Massey Harris Company Manager R. H. Agur, Manitoba Assurance Company Manager Herbert Henry Beck, and Minneapolis broker Charles E. Lewis. The Exchange was largely dormant until 1906 when development in Western Canada picked up pace. Formal and regular meetings began in August 1908 and a President was elected. The Exchange, located on the third floor of the Grain Exchange Building, was opened officially on 1 February 1909.
In November 2000, the Winnipeg Stock Exchange merged operations with the Canadian Venture Exchange. It now operates under the name of ICE (Intercontinental Exchange).
“City and Province [The Winnipeg Stock Exchange],” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 15 December 1882, page 8.
“Winnipeg Stock Exchange,” Manitoba Daily Free Press, 2 March 1883, page 2.
“To-day twenty years ago ,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 12 March 1903, page 1.
“He failed to apologise,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 February 1903, page 3.
“Winnipeg’s new Stock Exchange,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 February 1909, page 1.
“New members of Exchange,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 February 1909, page 9.
“Winnipeg Stoch [sic] ’Change opens; closed 4 years,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1919, page 1.
“Will be re-elected,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 September 1919, page 10.
“Stock Exchange annual,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 June 1921, page 12.
Page revised: 7 April 2019Back to top of page