Manitoba Business: Canada West Grain Company / Dawson Grain Company / Red River Grain Company
Incorporated at Melfort, Saskatchewan by Harold George Dawson in February 1914, its corporate offices were later moved to Winnipeg. Along with subsidiary Red River Grain Company, it operated country grain elevators, seed plants, feed mills, and warehouses in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. It became known as the Dawson Grain Company in the mid-1940s. In early 1961, its remaining facilities were sold to United Grain Growers. The company surrendered its charter in October 1964.
Country Elevators (Manitoba)
“Melfort company builds elevators,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 April 1915, page 22.
Advertisement, Winnipeg Free Press, 12 December 1946, page 10.
“UGG purchases firm’s plants,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 April 1961, page 25.
“Red River Grain Company Limited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 October 1964, page 46.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 May 2021