This stone structure near the York Factory cemetery was constructed between 1838 and 1840 to store gunpowder for the Hudson’s Bay Company, some for local use, but most for shipment to inland company posts. It was made of a wooden foundation, local limestone, imported English brick, and cut stone from the abandoned Prince of Wales Fort. It was purposely constructed a considerable distance from the main York Factory buildings to guard against the possibility of explosion or fire. Extensively repaired in 1873 after a part of the roof collapsed, the building was abandoned in 1905.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: York Factory Depot Building (Hayes River, Northern Manitoba)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: York Factory Cemetery (Hayes River, Northern Manitoba)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prince of Wales Fort (Hudson Bay, Churchill)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.