Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Hotel (214 Main Street, Winnipeg)

The three-storey Winnipeg Hotel was constructed on the west side of Main Street in Winnipeg by brothers Oswald Montgomery and Thomas Montgomery, and opened for business by September 1881. The facility featured a restaurant and bar on the main floor and 60 beds on the upper two floors. In 1901, the brothers enlarged the property by buying the former Dominion Hotel next door. The property was further enlarged in 1903 when they acquired a 100-foot frontage on Fort Street behind their building. On 10 March 1904, the Montgomerys sold the hotel to Maurice Nokes for about $125,000 and began construction of the Queen’s Hotel on Portage Avenue.

An owner of the Winnipeg Hotel was Percy Douglas Hills.

Winnipeg Hotel

Winnipeg Hotel (circa 1902)
Source: “The Winnipeg Hotel,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 January 1902, page 6.

Winnipeg Hotel

Winnipeg Hotel (1960s)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey - Winnipeg,
Main Street (Additional Photographs) 10

Winnipeg Hotel

Winnipeg Hotel (October 2014)
Source: George Penner

Winnipeg Hotel

Winnipeg Hotel (November 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Winnipeg Hotel

Winnipeg Hotel (January 2022)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89084, W97.13617
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

MHS Centennial Business: Winnipeg Hotel

Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Montgomery (1851-1914)

Memorable Manitobans: Oswald Montgomery (1856-1926)


“City and provincial [Hon. MacKenzie Bowell],” Manitoba Free Press, 13 September 1881, page 1.

“Real estate transactions,” Winnipeg Daily Tribune, 3 June 1901, page 2.

“The Winnipeg Hotel,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 January 1902, page 6.

“New Winnipeg Hotel,” Manitoba Morning Free Press, 19 April 1902, page 7.

“Old hotel to be enlarged,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 October 1903, page 11.

“Winnipeg Hotel,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 September 1903, page 5.

“Winnipeg Hotel sold,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 March 1904, page 10.

“Now in full swing,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 April 1904, page 6.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Christian Cassidy, George Penner, and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 December 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.