Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Beach School No. 1331 (Churchill Road, Winnipeg Beach)
The Winnipeg Beach School District was formally established in March 1905 and a one-room wood frame school building was erected in the Town of Winnipeg Beach. Three rooms were added to the original structure in 1920, which was used until 1946. To accommodate a rise in student enrollment after the Second World War, a separate one-room building (known as “The Apple Box”) was constructed immediately north of the main building, in 1946. As enrollment continued to rise, space was rented in the Town Hall. Finally, in 1949, a modern six-classroom wood frame building was built and the old school was demolished. Three years later, an influx of military personnel to the area necessitate the use of The Apple Box for classes.
Winnipeg Beach School reverted to an elementary school in 1959, as high school students were bused to Gimli. In April 1967, the school was closed. A monument on the former school site was unveiled during a reunion on 24 July 1988, and rededicated at another reunion in July 2001.
Among the teachers of Winnipeg Beach School was Amy Jean Mitchell.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Angela Birt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 September 2021