Historic Sites of Manitoba: Uptown Theatre / Uptown Lofts (394 Academy Road, Winnipeg)
Designed by local architect Max Blankstein and built between 1930 and 1931, at an estimated cost of $300,000, by contractor Walter Hanson Iverson for Jacob Miles, the 1,700-seat, two-storey theatre opened to the public on 24 December 1931.
Its interior was dramatically renovated in 1960 when it was converted into a bowling alley. It operated as such until 2019 when it was redeveloped into mixed residential and commercial use. The project received a conservation award from Heritage Winnipeg (2022).
The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1558/1930, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Uptown Theatre film,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 December 1931, page 24.
“Winnipeg’s new Uptown Theatre will open this evening,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 December 1931, page 16.
“Stone, brick & concrete work of the Uptown Theatre,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 December 1931, page 17.
“Uptown Theatre opened by Mayor,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 December 1931, page 2.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 850/1960, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Uptown Bowling Alleys (Formerly Uptown Theatre), 394 Academy Road, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, September 1985.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 February 2023