Construction of this two-storey brick and stone house, designed by Winnipeg architect Cyril W. U. Chivers, began in 1914 for lawyer Robert McDonnell Thomson. However, Thomson was killed overseas, during the First World War, and the building was not completed until 1931 when it was purchased by the Ravenscourt School for Boys, now St. John's-Ravenscourt School.
Memorable Manitobans: Cyril William Upton Chivers (1879-1969)
Memorable Manitobans: Robert McDonnell Thomson (1869-1916)
MHS Centennial Organization: St. John’s Ravenscourt School / St. John’s College School / Ravenscourt School
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 July 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.