Historic Sites of Manitoba: The Pas Telephone Exchange Building (154 Third Street West, The Pas)
This one-storey brick building on Third Street West in The Pas, measuring 28 feet by 44 feet, was designed by Winnipeg architect Alexander D. Melville and built in 1928 by Bird Woodall and Simpson Construction of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan at a cost of about $12,900. Its purpose was to house local circuitry for Manitoba Government Telephones.
In 1958, an addition was made to the west side of the building along with modifications to the front facade. At the time of a 2023 site visit, the building was still in use by the company and only east wall of original building was visible.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 April 1928, page 18.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 April 1928, page 2.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 April 1928, page 45.
“Contract for brick exchange awarded today to lowest tender of $12,900,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 April 1928, page 1.
“Contract awarded,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 April 1928, page 4.
“Contract awarded for 'phone exchange,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 August 1928, page 4.
“New buildings at The Pas,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 November 1929, page 23.
We thank Gordon Goldsborough for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 23 October 2023