Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mapleton School No. 5 / Sunrise School (RM of St. Andrews)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

In 1939, Sunrise School was opened by the Mapleton School District No. 5 on Sunnyside Road in the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews south of Selkirk. Instruction here was provided to pupils from grades one through eight, with high school classes being taught out-of-district until 1955 when collegiate grades were brought to local classroom space at Mapleton School. During its last year [1958-1959] in operation, grades taught within the district were specifically allocated, with Sunrise School hosting grades 1-2 for pupils residing nearby along with grades 4-5 for the entire district, with the rest taught at Mapleton School.

The school was closed in the summer of 1959 and both the building and property were sold late that year. Relocated elsewhere, its foundation was still present in 1982, marking the site where it previously stood.

District Principals


District Principal


See Mapleton School


Among the teachers of Sunrise School were Margaret Coutta [Coulta?] Stephen (Spring 1939 - Spring 1941), Louise Gladys Greenhorn (Fall 1941 - Spring 1943), Elinor Mary Kartzmark (Fall 1943 - Spring 1944), Kristin Smith (Fall 1944 - Spring 1945), Jean Mary Grusy? (Fall 1945 - Spring 1946), Irene Margaret Bisson (Fall 1946 - Spring 1947), John Ford (Fall 1947 - Spring 1948), Sydney Alexander “Syd” Lecker (Fall 1948 - Spring 1949), Margaret Ann Leslie (Fall 1949), Cecil DeBlois? Davidson (Spring 1950), Evelyn Brandow (Fall 1950 - Spring 1951), Teresa Marie Todd (Fall 1951 - Spring 1952), Violet Beck (Fall 1952 - Spring 1953), Margaret Paterson (Fall 1953 - Spring 1954), Victor L. Michalchuk (Fall 1954), Lena Allison (Spring 1955 - Spring 1956), Marion Y. Dunlop (pt Fall 1956), Jean Hollinger (pt Fall 1956 - Spring 1957; wife of Cas Hollinger), and Leah Bourk (Fall 1957 - Spring 1959).

Photos & Coordinates

Sunrise School

Sunrise School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 1.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.13682, W96.93966
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mapleton School No. 5 / Mapleton School (112 Calder Road, RM of St. Andrews)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sunrise School No. 1926 (Municipality of McCreary)


School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

“Legal notices [Tenders ... Sale of Sunrise School],” Selkirk Enterprise, 11 November 1959, page 7.

Beyond the Gates of Lower Fort Garry 1880-1981: R.M. of St. Andrews by Municipality of St. Andrews, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S22 Bey]

Obituary [Jean Hollinger], Winnipeg Free Press 15 December 2014, page 29.

We thank Linda Rolof for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 4 May 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!