Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strassberg School No. 757 (Municipality of Rhineland)
The Strassberg School District was established in May 1893 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE11-1-1E in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. The district was dissolved in 1968 and students from this area went to Gretna Consolidated School. Its area became part of the Rhineland School Division. The former schoolhouse was sold and moved away, leaving nothing at the site.
Among the teachers of Strassberg School were Gustav Toews (1897) and Jack Isaak (?).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Emerson East topographic map, 62H/3 West, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jake Rempel.
Page revised: 29 May 2023