Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
Designed in the English Gothic Revival style by Brandon architect William Alexander Elliott, the St. Matthew’s Cathedral was constructed between 1912 and 1913 by the firm of William Bell and Son. It replaced an earlier church by the same name that was located at 217 Eleventh Street, designed by architect Edward McCoskrie and built in 1882.
Photos & Coordinates
Postcard view of the original St. Matthew’s Anglican Church (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2011-0011
St. Matthew’s Anglican Cathedral (October 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
St. Matthew’s Anglican Cathedral (November 2017)
Source: George Penner
Interior of the St. Matthew’s Anglican Cathedral (November 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84367, W99.95542
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: William Alexander Elliott (1866-1957)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mary’s Anglican Church (401 First Street, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
The History of St. Matthew’s Cathedral
Doors Open Brandon
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada: 1800-1950.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
St. Matthew’s Anglican Cathedral, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Nathan Kramer, Sandy Jasper, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 July 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.