Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Park Block (233 Beverley Street, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick and stone building at the northeast corner of Portage Avenue and Beverley Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect William Wallace Blair and built in 1909 by contractors Gibbons and Harris for owner A. R. Davis at a cost of $27,000. The 66 foot by 70 foot building contained three stores on its main floor and eight residential apartments on the upper two floors. It was named for St. James Park (later renamed Vimy Ridge Memorial Park) across the street.

St. James Park Block

St. James Park Block (November 2020)
Source: George Penner

St. James Park Block

St. James Park Block (November 2020)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88693, W97.16557
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William Wallace Blair (1852-1916)


City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1293/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.

Page revised: 4 December 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!