This cemetery at the former community of Ste. Madeleine in the Rural Municipality of Ellice-Archie contains a commemorative kiosk, built in 2016, with the bell from St. Hubert Roman Catholic Church. A plaque beside the kiosk provides a history of the Ste. Madeline community, which was established by Metis people in the 1880s. A Roman Catholic mission was established here in 1902 by Father Jules Decorby. At its peak in the late 1920s, over 400 people lived here. They were dispersed between 1938 and 1940 as the land was converted into pasture by the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration. The site is accessible by a primitive road that is likely impassable when wet.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Hubert’s Roman Catholic Church (Gambler First Nation)
Review: Ken and Victoria Zeilig, Ste. Madeleine: Community Without a Town; Métis Elders in Interview by Diane Payment
Number 17, Spring 1989
Memorable Manitobans: Kenneth Stewart “Ken” Zeilig (1939-1990)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.