Historic Sites of Manitoba: South Antler School No. 351 (Municipality of Two Borders)

The South Antler School District was established formally in November 1884 and through the years it operated schools at three sites in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. From 1885 to 1888, the school was situated at 28-1-27W then, from 1888 to 1914 at 4-2-27W. Destroyed by fire in the latter year, a new wood frame, one-classroom structure was built by contractor Robert Nicholas Wyatt at SE6-2-27W (about N49.09160, W101.07209), opening in 1915. Closed temporarily between 1942 and 1948, due to low student enrollment, the school closed permanently in 1954. The building was sold at auction in 1961 and the district was dissolved in 1962. Henceforth, students from this area went to Edward Municipal School No. 2353. A rock monument commemorates the school at this location, about two miles east of its former site. Some records for South Antler School are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita.

Among the teachers of South Antler School were S. A. Preston (1887-1889), Sarah Bride (1889-1891), Maggie F. McRae (1891-1892), James McNeil (1892-1894), Robert Fletcher (1894-1895), A. E. Kenner (1895), Dusse Yeomans Lee (1896), J. McNeil (1896-1897), R. D. Bruce (1897-1898), William Burnett (1898-1900), Annie Hodnett (1900-1902), Edward Brice (1902-1903), Miss Tighe (1903-1904), Edwin L. Little (1905-1906), Lavina Whittaker (1905-1906), Christina J. McFadden (1906-1907), William D. Bayley (1907-1908), Margaret M. Morrison (1908-1909), Charles J. R. Siddle (1909-1910), Mayne McFedtridge (1910-1911), Ellen Cameron (1911), Emma J. Perry (1911-1913), Grace Burns (1913-1914), Dell Park (1914-1915), F. McKinnon (1915-1916), Minnie McKague (1916-1917), Cora Pridgeon (1917-1918), Laura Darby (1918-1919), Hazel McSawyer (1919-1921), Gladys Bahone (1921-1923), Alice Rusenel (1923-1926), F. E. Fletcher (1926-1927), Edna M. Eldred (1927-1929), Marion Barton (1929-1930), Ruby Robertson (1930-1933), Irene Robertson Cameron (1933-1935), Ella T. Aitkens Smith (1935-1937), Eileen Crowe Alston (1937-1939), Constance Clarke Dann (1939-1940), Sarah Wilson (1940-1942), Donald L. Thierry (1948-1949), Dorothy Thompson (1949-1950), Yvonne Loiselle (1950-1951), Gordon Stone (1951-1952), Gillan Greaves (1952-1953), Mrs. Gordon Peddon (1953-1954), and Patricia Lynn Scott (1954).

South Antler School

South Antler School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 24.

South Antler School commemorative monument

South Antler School commemorative monument (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.08889, W101.02668
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Robert Nicholas Wyatt (1877-1954)


Gainsborough East topographic map, 62F/03 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

Our First Century, Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur: 1884-1984 by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, pages 258-259.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 June 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!