Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources
In April 1956, construction began for a new high school in Selkirk to replace the previous Selkirk Collegiate building. Designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Prain and Ward, and built at a cost of $240,000, the frame, concrete, block, and brick-exterior facility contained ten classrooms along with a commercial room, laboratory, and auditorium. When classes began in September 1956, initial enrollment was 218 students, and the new building was occupied around October of that year. In 1971, high school students moved to the newly-constructed Lord Selkirk Regional Comprehensive Secondary School and this building became a Junior High School.
A monument on the school grounds was built between 1966 and 1967 by the staff and students of the Selkirk Collegiate Institute to commemorate Canada’s centenary of Confederation.
John Clayton Stewart (1906-1990)
William Wallace Cutforth (1910-1996)
Johann Edvald Sigurjonsson (1900-1972)
C. C. Whitoher
William “Bill” Regehr (1931-2016)
Ms. K. Friesen
Margaret Anderson (Vice-Principal), Anna B. Chambers, Louis Maurice, Mrs R. L. McDonald, Miss B. E. Nelson, George Sim, Miss A. Sozanky, James D. Stephen
Margaret Anderson, M. Borody, E. V. Cooke, Louis Maurice, Mrs. R. L. McDonald, George Sim
Margaret Anderson (Vice-Principal), H. H. Jorginson, Louis Maurice, J. McDonald, J. C. Michael, E. E. Nelson, A. Pelachty, M. T. Sheehan, J. D. Stephen
Margaret Anderson (Vice-Principal), Mrs. J. Chalmers, Miss F. M. Heler, D. M. Kent, Mrs. J. McDonald, Jean Michael, Miss B. E. Nelson, Miss T.M. Sheehan, and Mr. C. B. Tyler
Margaret Anderson (Vice-Principal), J. A. Brody, Jean Michael, Miss H. M. Heler, D. M. Kent (Grade 7), Mrs. J. McDonald (Grade 8), Miss B. E. Nelson, Miss M. T. Sheehan, Mr. C. B. Tyler (manual training)
Margaret Anderson (Vice-Principal), J. A. Brody, Miss F. M. Heler, D. M. Kent, B. Mandell, Mrs. J. A. McDonald, Jean Michael, A. R. Miller, Miss M. T. Sheehan
Margaret Anderson, Mrs. Ruth Gordon, K. Kihan, Mrs. J. McDonald, Jean Michael, F. Scarding, M. Stokoteiny (physical education), Valerie Tedd (home economics), Mr. C. B. Tyler (industrial arts), L. E. Wiess
Centenary of Canadian Confederation commemorative monument in front of Selkirk Junior High School (July 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.14413, W96.88406
denoted by symbol on the map above
“Vote for school,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1955, page 3.
“Tenders - New Selkirk High School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 March 1956, page 31.
“218 enrolled as new collegiate opens in Selkirk,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 September 1956, page 52.
“Selkirk teacher goes to bat for teenagers” by John Clayton Stewart, Winnipeg Free Press, 13 April 1957, page 40.
“Vocational teachers required,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 June 1970, page 54.
We thank Connor Macfarlane for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 August 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!