Historic Sites of Manitoba: Radisson School (1105 Winona Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Located in the Transcona School District and later the Transcona-Springfield School Division, the tenders originally called for a ten-classroom school to be built on the designs of Winnipeg architectural firm of Prain and Ward. With construction underway by July 1957, a “name the school” contest was held. The winning entry commemorated explorer and fur-trader Pierre-Esprit Radisson.

Built at a cost of about $110,000, the eight-room school opened officially on 25 October 1957 with a ceremony attended by Mayor Jack S. Johnston and School Board Chairman Arthur Henry Day. In 1960, it was expanded with ten new classrooms and an assembly room on designs by Ward and Macdonald. Additional capacity and an auditorium was added on the north side of the school in 1970-1971.

As of 2014, the school hosts classes in Kindergarten to grade 5.





Margaret “Maggie” Underhill (1898-1986)


Alfred Leslie Stevens (1920-2004)


Clarence Murdoch McMullen (1937-2017)


Mel Belluk


Aleck Robson




Onofrio Florentino




Darlene Lewis




K. Cross


No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Radisson School

Radisson School (October 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90253, W97.00840
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Prain and Ward / Ward and Macdonald / Macdonald, Cockburn, McLeod, and McFeetors / MCM Architects

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pierre Radisson Collegiate / Louis Riel Arts and Technology Centre (5 De Bourmont Avenue, Winnipeg)


“Seeks Liberal nomination in Radisson,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 March 1957, page 6.

“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 May 1957, page 10.

“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 July 1957, page 12.

“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 October 1957, page 46.

“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1957, page 5.

“Transcona H and S,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1957, page 3.

“Official opening for new school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 October 1957, page 5.

“5 boards appoint new men,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 June 1966, page 31.

“Rip Van Winkle sheer delight,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 May 1970, page 9.

“Push-button arithmetic - help or hindrance?,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 September 1975, page 17.

From Slate to Computer in the Transcona-Springfield Area 1873-1983 by Nan Shipley, 1983, page 350.

“Transcona-Springfield School Division No. 12,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 August 1993, page C10.

“Students speak out against vandals after school tagger,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 May 2008, page B6.

MCM Architects Inc. fonds, 1912-1994, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 26 December 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!