Historic Sites of Manitoba: Piggly Wiggly Store No. 22 (467 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)
This one-storey brick building on Sargent Avenue in Winnipeg, constructed in 1929 by contractor William James Lailey as a grocery for Piggly Wiggly Canadian Limited, was opened officially on 8 December 1929. The storefront has been reclad but its overall appearance is largely unchanged from its original configuration. The building was still in use as a community food store at the time of a 2020 site visit.
[Advertisement for Piggly Wiggly], Winnipeg Tribune, 6 December 1933, page 4.
“For Easter … It’s Swift’s premium ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 April 1936, page 12.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Piggly wiggly company opens store no. 20,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 October 1929, page 29.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 2 November 2022