Historic Sites of Manitoba: O. V. Jewitt Community School (66 Neville Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Named for the long-serving Winnipeg teacher Oliver Victor Jewitt, this Seven Oaks School Division school was built in 1981-1982. First known as O. V. Jewitt Elementary School, the facility opened to students in September 1982 and was followed with an official unveiling on 9 November 1982 with Mayor Bill Norrie in attendance. The school reached its capacity of around 540 students (kindergarten to grade 6) in about two years. In September 1992, in commemoration of the school’s 10th anniversary and the 125th anniversary of Canadian Confederation, the school’s Parent Teacher Liaison Committee constructed a flower bed surrounding the school’s flagpole at the main entrance. The school has since been re-designated as a Community School. A memorial on the school grounds commemorates former pupil Marie Irene Bilodeau (1998-2010).







Betty Ash




Donald Mandryk




Robert George “Bob” McIntosh (1951-2023)




Gary P. Jackson





Robert George “Bob” McIntosh (1951-2023)


Among the teachers of O. V. Jewitt Community School was Robert George McIntosh (1982-1986).

Photos & Coordinates

O. V. Jewitt Community School

O. V. Jewitt Community School (September 2015)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95112, W97.18002
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Oliver Victor Jewitt (1889-1967)


“Seven Oaks School Division No. 10,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 November 1981, page 85.

“Billboard [O. V. Jewitt elementary school], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 November 1982, page 24.

“Board decision makes use of provincial busing grant,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 April 1983, page 17.

“O. V. Jewitt school takes steps to accommodate ethnic groups,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly North Edition, 24 November 1991, page 3.

“Playground a priority at O. V. Jewitt,” Winnipeg Free Press Weekly North Edition, 21 January 1992, page 3.

“Officials hope illness contained,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 December 1996, page A4.

Obituary [Marie Irene Bilodeau], Winnipeg Free Press, 25 February 2010, page C8.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 28 October 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!