The original Holy Trinity Anglican Church stood at the southeast corner of the intersection of Winnipeg’s Garry Street and Portage Avenue as of 1868. A modest log structure, two years later a log addition was made to its east end. In 1875, a 40-foot by 80-foot wood frame church (later destroyed by fire in December 1899) was built to the east of the log structure, along Portage Avenue, and the preceding log church was used as a drill hall, meat and fur storage space, and excise warehouse.
In 1880, the log church was demolished to make way for a wood frame structure measuring 60 feet long and 42 feet wide, designed by architect James H. Rowan. The building featured a tower on its west end. Used for only four years until a much more grand church was constructed on Smith Street, the 1880 church was used for a time as a roller skating rink and public hall. Then, in 1892, it became an auction house operated successively by J. B. Rutter (1892-1895), Alfred Henry Pulford (1895-1901), and Herbert Gray (1901-1904).
In March 1904, the western end of the 1880 church building was demolished to make way for construction of a new building for the Manitoba Free Press. Later that year, the remaining eastern portion was condemned by the Winnipeg building inspector and Gray was forced to move out. It was torn down and replaced by a new Post Office building.
The 1880 Holy Trinity Anglican Church on Portage Avenue (July 1903)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0038
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89439, W97.14064
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Alfred Henry Pulford (1865-1937)
Memorable Manitobans: Herbert Gray (1866-1924)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Holy Trinity Anglican Church (256 Smith Street, Winnipeg)
Page revised: 24 April 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!