From 1882 to 1920, McDermot Avenue, west of Main Street, was the location of Winnipeg’s major newspapers: Manitoba Free Press, Winnipeg Evening Tribune, and Winnipeg Telegram. Among the noted journalists working in this area were William F. Luxton, Sanford Evans, and J. W. Dafoe. A plaque is mounted on the east side of the Telegram Building.
Newspaper Row Plaque (2009)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89678, W97.14042
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Telegram Building (70 Albert Street, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!