Neubergthal was founded in 1876 by a group of related Mennonite families on the open plains of southern Manitoba. The village is now surrounded by flat farmland. The community occupies six sections of land where residences, farmyards, and communally owned arable fields and pasturelands are arranged in long narrow farmsteads. The farmsteads that form the village are positioned in traditional fashion behind fencing along a single tree-lined street, creating a distinct identity. Official recognition refers to the street village on the block of six sections of land.
In 1998, Neubergthal was designated a National Historic Site by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Altbergthal School No. 1296 (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Friesen Housebarn Interpretive Centre (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hamm House (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Herdsman’s House (Neubergthal, Municipality of Rhineland)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Neubergthal Mennonite Street Village
Hamm Housebarn, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
This page was prepared by Tim Worth and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.