Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morgan School No. 31 (RM of St. Francois Xavier)
The Morgan School District was formed by the Protestant Board of Education on 7 January 1876, four years before the Municipality of St. Francois Xavier came into existence. A frame one-room school built on lot 215 near the Assiniboine River on property donated by a Mr. Morgan. In 1904, the school was moved to its final location north of the present-day Trans-Canada Highway. One of its buildings was based on architectural drawings of Gilbert C. Parfitt. In 1938, the building was given a $1,800 upgrade, with the schoohouse being repaired, raised up about aone foot, and set upon a new basement by contractor Robert Croteau of St. Boniface, along with a furnace installed within in the basement. In January 1960, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the St. Francois Xavier Consolidated School No. 2387, and later the White Horse Plain School Division. The school closed in the summer of 1961. A commemorative monument at the former school site was erected by the St. Francois Xavier Historical Society in 1996.
Among the teachers at Morgan School were Rose A. Penas (Spring-Fall 1913 & part Fall 1914), Susie S. Kelsey (Spring 1914), Nettie J. Vick (part Fall 1914 - Spring 1915), M. L. McEwen (Fall 1915), Alda Jones (Spring 1916 - Spring 1917), Doris Taylor (Fall 1917 - Spring 1919), Gladys K. Drammel? (Fall 1919), Mr. L. T. Farjey? (January-March 1920), Edith M. Reid (March-June 1920), Hazel Jackson (Fall 1920 - part Spring 1921), E. M. Stewart (part Spring 1921), Bernice Franklin (Fall 1921), Marguerite L. Watt (Spring 1922 - Spring 1923), Nellie Franklin (Fall 1923 - Spring 1928), Ruth Louise Moody (Fall 1928 - Spring 1929), Ruby May Fennell (Fall 1929 - Spring 1930), Stella A. Douglas (Fall 1930 - Spring 1934), Elsie Petursson (Fall 1934 - Spring 1936), Bernice Prefontaine (Fall 1936 - Spring 1938), Bernadette Perron (Fall 1938 - Spring 1941), Marie Imelda Saurette (Fall 1941 - Spring 1943), Lorraine Riel (Fall 1943 - Spring 1944), Juliet L. Moiseux? (Fall 1944 - Spring 1945), Louise Laura Gauthier (Fall 1945 - Spring 1946), Georgette Bissionnette (Fall 1946 - Spring 1947), Agnes Rose Goulet (Fall 1947 - Spring 1949), Gaetane? [Gaetaxe?] Marie Jubinville (Fall 1949 - Spring 1950), Margaret A. Young (Fall 1950 - Spring 1951), Margaret Dorothy Prefontaine (Fall 1951 - December 1953 & Fall 1955 - Spring 1958), Claire Adrienne Perras (January-June 1954), Edmee Lorraine Silvester (Fall 1954 - Spring 1955), Marie Rayjeanne Viola Dufresne (Fall 1958 - Spring 1959), Rudy D. Thiessen (Fall 1959 - Spring 1960), and Ethel May Matthews (Fall 1960 - Spring 1961).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques and Manitoba Community Commemorative Plaques, Fiscal Year 1995-1996, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Citizenship, page 24.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Morgan School District #31 - Daily Registers, GR0645, Archives of Manitoba.
Plans and shop drawings (GS 0100), Morgan School, GR3125, Archives of Manitoba.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Municipal borrowing files (MA 0039), Morgan School District No. 31, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Harry Mueller, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 May 2022