Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Millan School No. 424 (RM of Whitehead)

The Millan School District was established formally in September 1885. A school building was erected in 1897, at NW10-9-22W in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. The building was later moved to SW22-9-22W and in about 1906 to SW14-9-22W where it stood until a new building was constructed in 1950, at NW11-9-22W. This school closed permanently in January 1968 when the Souris Valley School Division began busing all students to Souris. The former school building was used for a time as a community centre then was sold and moved away in 1980. It is commemorated at the site by a monument.

Among the teachers of Millan School were Miss W. J. Inglis (1888), George Anderson, J. Hall, Annie Morrison, Nellie Scarth, Maggie McMillan, Frank Belton, A. E. Harris, Miss Munro, L. Ellis, Jean Chisholm, Maude Leeple, C. McFarlane, D. E. Bell, Katherine McFarlane, Christina Graham, V. Steadman, G. L. Gordon, E. A. Leachman, Florence MacIntyre, Elizabeth Stewart, Bertha Reid, D. M. Partridge, Marion Smith, Nellie Hogg, K. S. Kinley, Rita Bambridge, Mary Roddick, Eva Nichols, Helena McAlpine, M. Critchley, K. Marshall, A. L. Hill, Gladys Mason, Thelma McDonald, Jean Carter, Reita McMillan, Iola Johnston, Florence Baker, Jessie Reynolds, Phyllis Wallace, Mildred Kendrick, Grace Baissie, Betty Chalmers, Charles Wesley, William Cook, Vicky Shkworok, Lorna Anderson, Elizabeth Forsyth, Shirley Anderson, Jessie Loewan, Shirley Maxwell, Eileen Simpson, Mrs. E. Boys, Mrs. M. Lindberg, Edna Sinclair, Mrs. Katherine Holliday, and Mrs. D. Smith.

Millan School

Millan School (1906)
Source: Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]

Millan School commemorative monument

Millan School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.73892, W100.37116
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.