This two-storey, red brick building in MacGregor, in the Municipality of North Norfolk, was built in 1912 for the Merchants Bank of Canada. It became a branch of the Bank of Montreal following the 1922 merger of the two banks. Used until 1978, it later housed the municipal library and archives on its main floor with rental suites on the second floor. It is now entirely private accommodations.
A plaque on an exterior wall of the building commemorates the centenary of the town’s founding, in 1981. A time capsule behind the plaque is planned to be opened at the bicentenary, in July 2081.
The former Merchants Bank building in MacGregor (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
The former Merchants Bank building in MacGregor (October 2017)
Source: George Penner
MacGregor Centennial Plaque (March 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.96630, W98.77725
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchants Bank Building / Bank of Montreal Building (22 Second Avenue, Austin, Municipality of North Norfolk)
Manitoba Business: Merchants Bank of Canada
Manitoba Business: Bank of Montreal
Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Norfolk - MacGregor Archives (35 Hampton Street East, MacGregor, Municipality of North Norfolk)
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the R.M. of North Norfolk and MacGregor, Volume 2, 1998, page 996.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and Rose Kuzina.
Page revised: 17 November 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.