Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator / Private Grain Elevator (Medora, Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)
In 1917, United Grain Growers (UGG) leased two elevators at Medora, on the CPR Napinka Subdivision in the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada, from the provincial government, purchasing one in March 1926. The other was sold to Wiley Low and Company (later Federal Grain) but resold to UGG in 1927. The original elevator was demolished. In 1932, UGG purchased another elevator from the Lake of the Woods Milling Company and demolished the second original elevator, using its parts to rebuilt an burned elevator at Dominion City. In 1940, two annexes were added for temporary grain storage during the Second World War, one for the exclusive use of the Canada Permanent Mortgage Company, later taken back by UGG. In 1963, a 75,000-bushel annex was built and the elevator was modernized. Both were destroyed by fire on 21 December 1980.
The surviving elevator at Medora, constructed in the fall of 1981, opened for business on 11 January 1982. Closed in 2000, it remains in use for private grain storage.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
United Grain Growers Fonds, MSS76, Box 59, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
We thank Steve Boyko, Jean McManus, and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 December 2020