Built in 1898 by contractors Sinclair B. Ritchie and Philip Burnett, for entrepreneur Alexander McIntyre, this massive brick building on Main Street replaced an earlier structure on the site destroyed by fire. Originally just five storeys, two more floors were added in 1908. The building provided office space for a wide range of retail and professional companies. It was demolished in 1979 and the site became a parking lot.
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander McIntyre (1841-1892)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
Some Old Winnipeg Buildings by Randy R. Rostecki
MHS Transactions, Series 3, Number 29, 1972-73 season
“McIntyre Block, Mall Hotel sold,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 June 1946, page 1.
We thank Rob McInnes for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 September 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.