Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lukowce School No. 1202 (RM of Stuartburn)

The Lukowce School District was organized formally in July 1902 within the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. Classes were held in temporary quarters until, around spring 1903, when the district borrowed $500 to build and furnish a new one-room schoolhouse. That structure was replaced during the summer of 1922 when a new schoolhouse was built, and situated at NE13-1-6E (1933). A teacherage was eventually added and a third school structure also replaced the second (1922) schoolhouse. By 1946, a one-room school (measuring 22 feet by 32 feet) and teacherage were located upon a three acre parcel at the southwest corner of NE13-1-6E. A new two-room teacherage replaced the former in 1951 at the cost of $1,000. At some point, the school is believed to have operated at 19-1-7E. The teacherage was sold in December 1964 and the school closed around 1965. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area was divided between the Purple Bank School District and the Koroluwka School District, and later the Boundary School Division. A 1966 bid by the St. Demetris Church to purchased the schoolhouse was rejected and the structures later fate is uncertain.

Among the teachers of Lukowce School were Orest Zerebko (1904-1905), Peter H. Wojtchenko (1905-1906), A. Salanka (1906), Theo. Kochan (1906), Michael Boran (1906-1907), ? (1907-1923), Harry Weinberg (1923-1924), ? (1924-1925), Miss F. P. Korman (1925), Miss C. Cherneyko (1926), Mary Karchut (1927), Fred Romanshyck (1928-1929), Anton Solar (1929-1930), Allan G. Shirtliffe (1931-1932, son of Fred Shirtliffe), Albert Victor Mastin (1932-1934), John Norman Clark (1934-1936), Anne Eluik (1936-1938), Charles Joseph Salinos (1938-1941), Richard Trembach (1959-1960), and Eleanor Rybuck (1960-1961).

Second Lukowce School during construction

Second Lukowce School during construction (1922) by Andrew Mihaychuk
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Mihaychuk family collection,
PR1975-190, C156-32 [Mihaychuk, Andrew 32].

Third Lukowce School

Third Lukowce School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 76.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.03799, W96.66235
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (Schedule: E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Lukowce School District No. 1222 - Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Lukowce School District No. 1202 - Minute books Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Lukowce School District No. 1202 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 1202 - Lukowce - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.

Rural Municipality of Stuartburn fonds (ZZ 0066), Rural Municipality of Stuartburn Assessment Roll - Lukowce School District No. 1202, GR11574, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 10 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!