Historic Sites of Manitoba: Louise Steel Through-Truss Bridge (Red River, Winnipeg)
The first railway bridge over the Red River in Winnipeg was built in 1881 and the Louise Bridge was later converted for automobile traffic.
In 1910, this steel through-truss structure was built as a replacement for the original bridge. It consisted of two outer spans measuring 203 feet long by 26 feet wide with a central swing span measuring 277 feet long by 26 feet wide. The swing span was designed to pivot to allow ships to pass underneath. The concrete piers were constructed by William Newman and Company while the steel structure was built by the Algoma Steel Bridge Company. The bridge was built at a cost of about $126,000. The bridge originally featured two sets of railway tracks for the Winnipeg Electric Company’s streetcars but these were removed after the system was decommissioned in 1955.
“Plans for new bridges - Louise Bridge,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 April 1910, page 3.
“Expence not warranted,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 May 1910, page 1.
“New Louise Bridge,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 September 1910, page 5.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 29 March 2023