The Lonesand School District was established formally in July 1918 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in Lonesand in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. The district was dissolved in April 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division. The former school building remains at the site.
The former Lonesand School building (April 2018)
Source: Vicki Derksen-Duhame
The former Lonesand School building (August 2023)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Location (lat/long): N49.22306, W96.30590
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Vicki Derksen-Duhame, Rose Kuzina, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 September 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!