Historic Sites of Manitoba: Province Elevator Grain Elevator / United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Liege, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)
A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Liege, on the now-abandoned CNR Wakopa Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester, was built in 1927 by the Matheson Lindsay Company, sold to the Province Elevator Company in 1928, and re-sold to United Grain Growers in 1932. It closed due to railway abandonment in July 1961, while still full of grain, but remained standing at the site as recently as 1984. Its concrete foundation and metal pit were still present in mid-August 2020 but were removed at that time.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Deloraine West topographic map, 62F/01 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
United Grain Growers Fonds, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Grain Elevators in Canada, compiled by Board of Grain Commissioners for Canada, Winnipeg, 1912-1930, 1930-1953, 1953-1998 [Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries], 1998-2016 [Canadian Grain Commission].
We thank Janice McClelland for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 August 2020