Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lee River Steel Through Truss Bridge (Lee River, RM of Lac du Bonnet)

A steel through truss bridge over the Lee River in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet consisted of two spans, one 153 feet in length and the other 100 feet, was constructed in 1908 by the Winnipeg River Railway Company for use in shuttling construction workers and materials to the site of the Pointe du Bois Generating Station and later to the Slave Falls Generating Station.

The longer span was constructed originally in 1887 for use on the Canadian Pacific Railway main line at Terrebonne, Quebec. It was purchased by the company at a cost of $4,840. The shorter span was located on the St. Louis and Southwest Railway at Pine Bluff, Arkansas and was purchased at a cost of $2,992. Along with piers, the total cost of the bridge was $13,342. By 1915, the bridge was deemed inadequate for the loads put on it so two new spans were built by the Dominion Bridge Company of Winnipeg.

In 1962, the company ceased operations on the railway between Lac du Bonnet and the Pointe du Bois Generating Station, after which the bridge was used solely by automobile traffic until a new bridge was built to the south of it, at which time the steel spans were removed. All that remains of the former bridge are its concrete piers.

Steel through truss bridge over the Lee River

Steel through truss bridge over the Lee River (no date)
Source: Lac du Bonnet and District Museum

Steel through truss bridge over the Lee River

Steel through truss bridge over the Lee River (no date)
Source: Lac du Bonnet and District Museum

Steel Through Truss Bridge over the Lee River

Concrete piers of the former steel through truss bridge over the Lee River (March 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.27044, W95.87840
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Dominion Bridge Company

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pointe du Bois Generating Station (Winnipeg River, Whiteshell Provincial Park)

Sources:

Tramway to the Pointe: The Winnipeg Hydro Tramway, 1907-1996 by Peter J. Lacey, 1996.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 March 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.