Between 1731 and 1743 La Vérendrye, a native of Trois-Rivières, supervised the construction of a series of fur trade posts west of Lake Superior. To secure the trade of the resident Cree, Ojibwa and Assiniboine Indians he and his sons built, among others, Fort Rouge here at the Forks and Fort La Reine (now Portage la Prairie) on the Assiniboine. These postes du nord were intended to help finance the search for the western sea as well as to cut off the inland fur trade of the Hudson’s Bay Company. Discouraged by the lack of official support for his exploration work, La Vérendrye retired to Montreal in 1744. This plaque was erected here in 2002 by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Pierre Gaultier de la Verendrye commemorative plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88667, W97.12828
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pierre Gaultier de La Verendrye Plaque (Bonnycastle Park, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Verendrye Monument (Legislative Building, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Verendrye Park / Red River Settlement (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.