Historic Sites of Manitoba: Imperial Bank of Canada Building (441 Main Street, Winnipeg)
On this site along Main Street, the Imperial Bank of Canada opened the first branch of the bank in Winnipeg, on 4 January 1881. The original Robertson Block was demolished between May and July 1906 after which excavation for the new structure began. The work was undertaken by Kelly Brothers and Mitchell. The bank relocated temporarily to the Aikins Block until the new premises, designed by Toronto architects Darling and Pearson, opened on 26 May 1908. It became the main branch of the Imperial Bank in Winnipeg and also housed the offices of its Western Superintendent.
In 1961, the Imperial bank amalgamated with the Canadian Bank of Commerce to become the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC). A commemorative plaque is mounted on the southwest corner of the municipally-designated historic building.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
“The new Imperial Bank,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 April 1906, page 1.
“Imperial Bank to move,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 May 1906, page 5.
“Temporary bank offices,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 May 1906, page 5.
“Imperial Bank Building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 July 1906, page 15.
“New bank building,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 May 1908, page 9.
“Imperial Bank moving,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1908, page 6.
“Local notes [The Imperial Bank],” Manitoba Free Press, 25 May 1908, page 2.
“A fine bank building,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 June 1908, page 6.
“Winnipeg’s big building development during 1908,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1908, page 31.
Imperial Bank of Canada (441 Main Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 1991.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 September 2022