Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hill House (20 East Gate, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Occupants | Photos & Maps | Sources

This two-storey brick veneer and stucco residence in the Armstrong’s Point area of Winnipeg was designed by local architect W. W. Blair and built in 1912 for retired building contractor Wilson Hill. An attached sun room was built in 1922.

Occupants/Owners

Period

Occupant/Owner

1912-1929

Wilson Hill (1852-1929)

1929-1963

Gertrude & Lillian Hill

Photos & Coordinates

Hill House

Hill House (April 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87826, W97.15659
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William Wallace Blair (1852-1916)

Memorable Manitobans: Wilson Hill (1852-1929)

Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Walking Tour of Armstrong’s Point by Patricia Thomson

Sources:

Obituary [Miss Lillian Hill], Winnipeg Free Press, 19 June 1963, page 28.

Armstrong's Point: A History by Randy R. Rostecki, Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 December 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!