The Hebron School District was established formally in 1884 and a school building was erected in the southwest quarter of 23-8-20W in what is now the Municipality of Souris-Glenwood. The school was closed from 1949 to 1954. The school closed permanently in June 1968 and its remaining students went to Souris. The building was still standing, but vacant, in the late 1980s, and was moved away in 1991. A monument was erected at its former site.
The teachers of Hebron School (1884-1968) were Miss Mary Sproule, Miss Nettie McGee, James Russell, Miss Alice Simmons, Mr. Frezzell, Dr. Lavers, Isaac Bowles, Miss Maggie Stirke, Miss Arnett, Charles N. Syme, Miss Edna McGill, Miss Mabel Morrison, Miss Eleanor Short, Miss Una Grant, Harry Morrison, Miss Martha Jones, Miss Maggie Munn, Miss Helena Cummings, Miss L. W. Crawford, Miss Eva Banting, Miss Blanche Jackson, Miss Margaret Wood, Miss Emma Smith, Miss Isaac, Miss Nellie Hogg, Miss Ella Barber, Miss Gladys Field, Miss Fowler, Miss Gertrude Hinde, Miss Maddock, Miss K. Knowles, Miss Margery Donogh, Mrs. Dora Latta, Miss Margaret Mitchell, Miss Beth Petty, Miss Gladys Harrison, Miss Murl Bradley, Miss Aileen Brandon, Miss Jessie Skelton (1926-1927), Miss Jean Laughland, Miss Kathleen Keller, Miss Florence Skelton, Miss Hazel Smith (1929-1930), Miss Marjorie Truss (1930), Miss Myrtle Blackwell, Miss Margaret Braund (1934-1935), Miss Helen Lamont (1935-1937), Miss Lucy Snart (1937-1940), Mrs. Mary Rogers (1940-1941), Miss Marion Bell (1941-1943), Miss Grace Williams (1943-1945), Miss Dorothy Seafoot (1945-1946), Miss Mary Lawrence, Miss Muriel White, Miss Doreen Metcalfe, Miss Dorothy Seafoot (1947-1948), Miss Florence Shingfield, Miss Bernice McRae (1954-1957), Mrs. Mary Rogers, Miss Elva Madill (1957-1959), Miss Jean Gray (1959-1960), Walter Schettler (1960-1962), Miss Ann Smith (1962-1963), Miss Lynne Turner (1963-1965), and Mrs. Shirley Brown (1965-1968).
Hebron School (circa 1917)
Source: Education Department Report, 1917, Manitoba Legislative Library.
The former Hebron School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 448.
Hebron School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Hebron School commemorative monument (December 2020)
Source: David Ford
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.66531, W100.09806
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
The People of Souris and Glenwood from the Earliest Beginnings to the Present by Souris and District Heritage Club, 2006.
“Forty years ago,” Brandon Sun, 21 May 2008, page 8.
Memories of Hebron and Riverview by Riverview-Hebron Book Committee, c1991.
Hebron School - 1 Room 8 Grades 30 Pupils 1 Teacher by Reid Dickie
We thank David Ford for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 November 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!